Waverley Abbey was the first Cistercian abbey in England. It was founded in 1128 by William Giffard, Bishop of Winchester. It was damaged on more than one occasion by severe flooding, resulting in rebuilding in the 13th century.
The abbey was closed in 1536 as part of King Henry VIII’s Dissolution of the Monasteries. Subsequently largely demolished, its stone was reused in local buildings, including “Waverley Abbey House”, which was built in 1723 in the northern portion of the former abbey precinct.